Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Climate Culture Shock


I love the brisk fall air, the pungent smell of decaying leaves and grass, the last cutting of alfalfa, and the brilliant colors of autumn. My African sons, however, do not like the fall. Correction- one of my African sons does not like the fall. Why? Because he is cold. All of the time. And people keep saying reassuring things like: "What? You are cold? Just wait- it gets worse! This is NOTHING!" Thanks a lot. He was just starting to like Iowa, now all he can imagine is six months of shivvering. September was so nice. I kept remarking about the beautiful weather, and at first he didn't understand why. Now he does.
The other son? He must have the same metabolism as William, our second son, who wears T-shirts year round and might put on his winter coat in January if it is gets below 0. Dennis is bundled up in his track sweats under several blankets and Victor wants to turn on the fan. Good grief. Tonight my husband brought home a genuine rabbit fur-lined ear-flapped farmer hat as a joke. Dennis loves it. He said he wants to wear it to bed! I think he may have discovered that our heating system only warms the first floor of our big farm house! (Bedrooms are on the 2nd floor of course.)

1 comment:

  1. I think I'll put Dennis in the warmer sleeping area (the family room with lots of blankets) this weekend and put Victor in the wrestling room on the air mattress that gets a little cold! Also, I'll refrain from saying, "You haven't seen anything yet"

    ReplyDelete